I thought if I list what I achieved last year and what opportunities I've already got then I can mull it over whilst Tom is here and hope that my subconscious makes some kind of decision for me (JJ I'm going to blame you if it doesn't!!)
So here goes
- Did drawing for Chris's Christmas Present
- Was approached about doing an Art Exhibition
- Produced 30 pictures and had the exhibition
- Got a website up and running (not finished yet)
- Attended three events as a vendor
- Since September have sold 26 pictures (mixture of prints and originals)
- Collaborated with SpiralSkies Jen on a illustrated words combo
- Have produced a logo, Miss Miaow, for SCAD (Soi Cat and Dog) Education Programme
- Donated three dog drawings to SCAD which have now been made into T-shirts
- Collaborated with JJ on a logo design for the BWG competition and won
- Have produced a logo for BWG's Walk This Way fashion show
2008 Opportunities so far
- JJ has sent me a link for an organisation that buys the rights to designs for three years and then turns them into cards to sell. They only buy colour designs.
- Two people have approached my about doing a one off piece of work for them but nothing has come of it so far
- There are opportunities to get on Vendor lists for events
- A contact of my Dad's from MSL (My Second Life) runs an Art Gallery within MSL and has seen my work. She wants to do an online exhibition when I'm ready
(Just in case you have not heard of it - My Second Life is a 3-D virtual world. It opened to the public in 2003 and it has grown explosively - users can socialize, sell stuff and it is inhabited by millions of Residents from all around the world)
What to do?
- Well, I guess I need to look at trying to do some colour work - painting? or I might try doing something in ink. A lot of my designs have little washing lines in them which I think would look great in colour with the rest of the design still in black and white. Would that count as a colour design or is that cheating?
- Should I speak to the two people who have said that they might be interested in commissioning a piece. Maybe ask what sort of thing they are thinking of and when would they need it finished by so that I can build the time into my schedule. Is that being really pushy?
- Do I really want to get up at the crack of dawn and lug lots of pictures to various hotels across Bangkok? Will people not get bored seeing the same designs? I suppose I could pick and choose the events that I want to go to
- Before I can do anything on MSL I need to go online and create an Avatar (character) and do some exploring. Hmm.....will I need to produce some new work or can I use the existing stuff?
- I do need to finish the website - I've not had many sales through it so far......I wonder if that's because there is not a buy now facility? Would it be better to keep the website drawings section fresh by only having, say, 10 at a time and then changing them round to keep it looking new?
- Should I join some kind of art class?
You know something - I feel a lot lighter now I've got all that out of my head and onto paper (or onto computer.....you know what I mean!!).
Ok.......subconscious it's over to you.......