Friday 15 December 2006

Christmas Carols at B&H Hospital & Reuters

Somehow, and I'm really not sure how this happened, I managed to get roped into singing carol's with the BWG at the B&H Children's Hospital. There were about 11 of us that had agreed to humiliate ourselves in public (no-one had told us that not only were we singing but we were doing it wearing antler headdresses so I'm really not kidding about the public humiliation).

We had to sing twice....the 1st time was in a garden on the 4th floor and there was no bugger there!! Well, that is if you don't count the staff from the hospital who I think had been told that they had to be there and the window cleaners (poor buggers were only doing their job and were subjected to Farang catterwalling).....although there was one who insisted on filming the whole thing - very off putting that was.....he practically had the camera up the nose of one of the women!! We were then served sherry and mince pies which was lovely if not a little surreal. The second time was better as it was in the lobby (at least there were people there) but in typical Thai stylie whilst we were singing there were two people dressed up as Thai cartoon characters with huge heads (Think Frank Sidebottom) dancing round a Christmas tree. Why???


So how the hell did you manage to end up singing for Reuters I hear you ask. I had promised Jenny that I would sing carols with her that afternoon at her husbands Christmas party (not out of the goodness of my heart but because she bribed me with the promise of lunch and wine......). (David had organised the whole thing and was doing a British Xmas - Jenny had stockings for all the staff and had filled them with things like shortbread, tea, address books with Union Jacks on them etc. The staff had even taken part in a Secret Santa - all David's staff are Thai so they loved it). At one point Jen and I were panicking that it was only going to be the two of us standing there but we managed to rope in a few others (Thank God they were both on the same day). So in the afternoon five of us went and sang in front of 40 Thai's who were absolutely delighted. Chris came and joined us when he finished work and we made a night of it.

I think that if I ever have to sing another Christmas Carol I may scream!!

No comments: