Friday 26 October 2007

Through Our Eyes - Thailand Up Close

Do you remember me saying that the National Museum Volunteers were putting together a book called Through Our Eyes - Thailand Up Close in celebration of the Thai Kings 80th Birthday?







(The King is very keen on photography so the NMV thought it would be good to put something together that showed Thailand through the eye's of it's volunteers). Well, the books official launch was on Wednesday night and it was absolutely fantastic - the National Museum grounds are stunning and when it was all lit up it looked a bit like something out of a fairy tale. (There was even an orchestra playing classical music!!)


I had volunteered to help out at the beginning of the evening so was chaperoning people to their seats. I did have a very stressful moment when Khun Yui (She's one of our blind volunteers) turned up and I went to collect her from the gate. The bloody taxi hadn't dropped her off where he was supposed to and she had no idea where she was or how to get to me......we were on the phone for ages and she ended up having to ask someone who was walking past where she was and asking them to turn her so she was going in the right direction!! (We got there in the end and she had a blast).

The Oriental Hotel did all the catering so the food and wine was fab and a number of VIP's turned up including Khun Wanchana Sawatdee who played King Naresuan in the movie (He grinned like a loony when Chris and I recognised him) and Khun Arak Sunghitakul who is the Director General of the Fine Arts Department - he officially opened the exhibition.

My photo was not one of the ones in the Throne Hall (there were too many to have them all enlarged and framed) but it was on the first page in the book and I was chuffed to bits when I saw it. We bought a copy when we were there and have placed an order for another three. (So Mum, Dad, Sadie - guess what your getting!!). If anyone else would like one then let me know - they are 750 baht each which works out at about £10 (They are beautiful books and look very professional!!). The exhibition will continue at the NMB for a week or so and then will be touring all the major museums across Thailand.

7 comments:

Lane Mathias said...

What a fab sounding evening! That musuem looks wonderful and love the amazing flower arrangements.

Big congrats on your photo being on the first page. What an achievement:-)
xx

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing (and getting) the book. I'd like one for your Gran as well. Will take them home with me when I'm over (and Sadie's as well).

Love Mum xx

Carol said...

Lane - Thanks honey. I am ridiculously pleased!!

The museum is absolutely fantastic - the buildings alone are worth going to see never mind what's inside them!!

Mum - I will take you there when your here and we can get an extra one for Gran.

C x

Jen said...

Wow, it all looks so glamorous and glow-y. How thrilling that your photo is first in the book - I'm so proud of you!

X

Carol said...

Jen - Thanks sweetie!! (To be honest it would be difficult to take a bad photo of the roof of the Erawan Museum (It's a stained glass dome with zodiac signs and an old map of the world on it). I think I was just lucky no-one else submitted one!!

C x

Anonymous said...

I'll probably get one or two extra to take home. I'm so proud of you.

Love Mum xx

Carol said...

Awwww thanks Mum!! (I'm getting all embarrassed now!!)

C x